Thursday, August 24, 2023
Mackay and Whitsunday Life
A Week of Gin Tastings, Neon Art, Craft (Brews) And Cultural Delights
The Mackay Festival of Arts is now in full swing, and this week’s offerings include gin tastings, the DBI Literary Dinner, the Mackay Art Studio Trail, sunset sessions and craft beer.
This Saturday, July 8, from 6pm, there will be a gin tasting night at the Seabreeze Hotel featuring a four-course meal paired with hand selected, award-winning gins.
Also on Saturday night, the Creative Art Studio is offering a Neon Night Sip and Paint session from 6pm to 8pm. Painters will be painting in the dark under UV to bring their neon artworks to life.
Mayor Greg Williamson encouraged festival goers to experience the Mackay Art Studio Trail.
“This is an amazing initiative that is a collaboration between dozens of local artists to open their studios to the public and provide tremendous workshops and experiences,” Mayor Williamson said.
“Not only can you visit artists in their studios, and see their works and learn about their processes, but there are also some amazing learning opportunities,” he said.
“For example, next Wednesday (July 12), there are beginners’ pottery lessons, and then on Thursday (July 13) there are tie dying workshops.”
For a full list of artists’ open studios, workshops and exhibitions in the program, head to www.artistsconnectinc.au.
Mayor Williamson said there was also still time to enjoy the Whitsunday Wealth Festival Hub in the Civic Precinct.
“The action-packed circus show Le Coup and the hilarious High Tea with Booff are still showing until this Sunday (July 9),” he said.
“Which also means there’s still time to try Red Dog Brewery’s Mackay Festival Hub Lager, which was a recipe they created especially for the Festival Hub that you can only get at this event.”
The following events, shows and activities are also on offer during the second week of the Mackay Festival of Arts:
• DBI Literary Dinner at the MECC on Friday, July 14 Featuring a three-course meal, live music and entertainment by Annabel Crabb
• Friday Sun.set Sessions at the Wake House Enjoy different acoustic musicians every Friday from 5pm to 9pm
• Live music at Red Dog Brewery Enjoy pizza, local craft brews and live music at Red Dog Brewery on Fridays and Saturdays
• July 6 to 8 and 13 to 15 – Kucom Theatre presents Perfect Wedding A bridegroom wakes on his wedding morning in his own bridal suite, with his bride-to-be about to arrive any moment, and finds a strange girl in bed beside him. Hilarity ensues.
• Get ready for the Wisely Wine and Food Day At Queens Park on July 15 and featuring amazing acts from around Australia.
Gin tasting at the Seabreeze Hotel
The hilarious High Tea with Booff runs until July 9 and is an intimate show for groups of just 10 people
Neon Night Paint and Sip session with the Creative Art Studio