In 2022 a statue of “Joe” the international canecutter was unveiled in Albert Lloyd Park at Marian. Joe commemorates those of any nationality or ethnic group who worked to promote the sugar industry in and around Marian.
The sugar industry actually began in Marian over 140 years ago in 1883, when a company was formed with British and industrialist money to establish a sugar mill in the Mackay district. Messrs Smith, McEachran and McKenzie were the key figures in raising the necessary funds. The chosen site was about three miles west of Pleystowe on the Pioneer River, and it became known as Marian. Operations commenced in 1883 and continued until 1892, when the factory closed.
Early pioneer families of the area included Markey, Grosskreutz, Farley, Coyne, Langford, McHardie, Rick, Walz, Erickson and Vickers.
The men responsible for erecting the mill were McEachran and McKenzie.
After the closure in 1892, a grower-owned mill was erected in 1895 by local farmers who mortgaged their properties to secure funds from the Queensland Government. This mill laid the foundation for an industry that has stood the test of time and continues to flourish today.
On August 3, a plaque was placed in Albert Lloyd Park to acknowledge the contribution of these men to the founding of the sugar industry in the Marian area.
Contributed by Joan Vickers
Inspecting the plaque are members of the Erickson [1880], Doyle [1900] and the Vickers [1889] families who are the fourth and fifth generation of farmers who are still farming at Marian in 2025
Peter Doyle, Anne Leeson [Erickson], and Wayne Vickers
Bobby Scriha and his sons Robert and Christopher. Photos supplied