Friday, August 29, 2025

Issue:

Mackay and Whitsunday Life

ORIGINS OF OUR LOCAL PLACE NAMES

WILSON BEACH

The first Europeans to settle in the Lower Conway area were the Wilson family - Fred in 1905 and his wife, Catherine, and children, Beatrice and Fred, in 1908. A pioneer to the Saltwater Creek area, Fred had previously travelled around Queensland finding employment as a shearer, a drover, and a farm hand. The Wilson family cleared the land and initially concentrated on growing bananas. In 1913, they sent their first sugar cane to the mill as the tramline had, by then, been extended to the Conway / Preston area.

Wilson Beach was once referred to as Little Beach and Conway as Big Beach but when subdivision and development took place in the area, official names were proposed. Hence, we now have Wilson Beach and Conway Beach. (Conway Beach was originally known as Preston Beach).

Circa 1911, the local families, the “Prestonites”, held a picnic at the mouth of the Proserpine River. In those times, access to Little Beach was by boat from Saltwater Creek to the mouth of the river and then by foot along the beach or by using the rough track cut out by the farmers using hand axes, mattocks, horses and plenty of blood, sweat and tears.

In 1942, Harry and Ruby Davison owned the area now known as Wilson Beach. They had built their family home on the beach front and there they raised nine children. Sadly, the house had to be demolished after Cyclone Debbie, however, their name lives on in Davison Road. Hall Drive is named after another early settler, Arthur Hall, whose house was along the beach from Davison’s.

The “Proserpine Guardian” January 13, 1961 reported, “Master Beames, from Brisbane, is visiting Little Beach during the Christmas vacation as a guest of the Davison family. Other visitors during the holidays included Mr and Mrs E Grimstone and Lyn, Miss G Carne, Mr and Mrs C. Hiscox and family, Mr and Mrs J. Jackson and M. King and family from Mackay who were camped on the beach. The road, now bitumened, is quite good, although the sides are very soft and cars are apt to skid or sink down when passing or overtaking.”

In the late 1950s, local residents and the visiting holiday makers had expressed that a swimming enclosure was needed, as there was no safe place for the children to swim. There were stingers in the sea and the water flow at Cedar Creek falls was unreliable. So, many locals hand cut posts from the bush and the wire was donated. The community kept the enclosure in good repair. Each year, the wire was replaced before the start of the stinger season. And before the tide came in, the enclosure was always checked to make sure there was nothing dangerous trapped in there. Damage to the enclosure from Cyclone Debbie made the enclosure unusable however it has recently been rebuilt by the council.

Wilson Beach has grown into a beautiful, peaceful, secluded seaside settlement with magnificent sunsets: a place where families love to spend holidays. The community should be proud of the strong community spirit which has been passed down through the generations since the days of the early settlers.

Story and photo courtesy of Proserpine Historical Museum

In other news