July 23, 2026

The Post Office Keeping Proserpine Connected

First Official Post Office in Proserpine. Photo supplied: Proserpine Historical Museum Society.

In the early days of settlement, the Post Office stood at the centre of town life. More than a postal service: it also served as a trusted place for record-keeping, helping to preserve vital historical information for future generations.  

   

Postal services in the Proserpine area began in 1892 when a receiving office was opened at Breadalbane Station. The PHMS publication, “Proserpine Then and Now” published details of landowners in the district from 1894-1895. These figures were recorded from “a receiving office 40 miles from Bowen” - no doubt referring to the Breadalbane office.  

 

From 1896 to 1904, shopkeeper, Jonathan Jupp, operated an unofficial post office with telegraph facilities from his main street general store. The area was known as Lower Proserpine. “Port Denison Times” (March 1904) stated, “a site for a Post and Telegraph Office in Proserpine had been purchased and tenders were open for the erection of this building.”  

   

Upon completion of the building, Mrs Maggie Tracey (nee Hall-Scott) of Bowen was appointed postmistress. She remained there until 1909. When this first official post office opened, the “Lower” was dropped from the name. Maggie was agent for the Queensland Government Savings Bank, handling wages for Proserpine Central Sugar Mill as well as postal duties until Proserpine’s first bank, the Bank of New South Wales, opened in 1907. The telephone exchange opened in 1912 with fourteen subscribers and was initially on the verandah of the Post Office. This closed with automation in 1976.  

 

The current timber and brick post office was built by Mr P. J. Wollon of Brisbane on the same site as the post office built in 1904. It opened in June 1940 at a cost of £3947. It was built to a standard post office design of a twin porch, mail verandah and central gable, a style that was common between 1920 and 1939 and the principal characteristics justifying its listing on the Local Heritage Register. Originally planned as a wholly timber building, as per standard post office designs, the Proserpine Shire Council requested the government incorporate bricks and cement into the design.  

In 1995, modifications to the building were made when the post office was refurbished as an Australia Post Shop. Further changes occurred in April 2010 when the building became a private post office. On August 5, 2025, Proserpine Post Office, which was operated by Grant Brown and a dedicated staff for thirty years, was sold to Mr Frank Wu.  

Proserpine Post Office diaries from 1950 to 1986 contain a wealth of information about the role of the post office. The Postmaster recorded all mail traffic throughout the district, including Whitsunday Islands and mail mainly arrived on the mail train or by air. With prevalent floods, low bridges and bad roads, mail deliveries were often held up with contractors in country areas often unable to get through. Rail strikes were another problem. In the early days, some mailmen delivered mail on horseback.  

   

Weather conditions (rainfall etc), which are now recorded at Whitsunday Coast Airport were once recorded at the post office. If a cyclone warning was out, a red pennant was raised.  The diary entry for Cyclone Ada reads as follows: - “All communication between islands lost 2am 18/1/1970.  Lines to north and south also OOO from 4am 18/1/70.  Cyclone hit town approx. 3am causing heavy damage. (approx.1 in 6 houses lost roofs).”      

   

The Post Office has had a long connection with the people of Proserpine and the surrounding district as a provider of communication services. Just as importantly, however, it has served as a familiar meeting place where people could exchange news about family, friendsand the wider community.