August 19, 2026

It’s Time For A Whitsundays Mobile Blood Bank

Image from Pexels

Whitsunday residents are being asked to get behind a push for a mobile blood bank service, with more than 1,300 people already adding their names to the campaign.

The push has been underway since October 2025, with campaigners arguing a region of more than 40,000 people should have an easier way to roll up their sleeves and donate.

For anyone in the Whitsundays wanting to give blood has to travel to the nearest permanent donor station, which is in Mackay. That means setting aside a decent amount of time just to donate, something campaigners say can be difficult between work, family and everyday commitments.

They have even offered to financially contribute towards bringing a service to the region, but say Australian Red Cross Lifeblood advised them it is government funded and does not accept monetary donations for the purpose.

The calls come as Lifeblood continues to seek more donors, with blood supplies recently falling to a 12-month low.

Blood also cannot simply be stored away for when it is needed, with red blood cells having a shelf life of just 42 days.

Campaigners believe the Whitsundays has plenty of people ready to donate if given the chance to do so closer to home.

“If our region is ready to think BIG, we need this facility,” Michael and Val said.

“It should be a priority.”

They have also pointed to Proserpine Hospital’s reliance on blood supplied from Mackay, raising concerns about how readily blood could be accessed locally during a major emergency.

The campaign has been taken to state and federal politicians as well as local councillors, but those behind it say they now need more voices to get behind the cause.

So far, 1,338 people have signed a Change.org petition calling for a mobile blood bank service in the Whitsundays.

For the campaigners, the next step is getting decision-makers to listen and giving Whitsunday residents a realistic opportunity to donate closer to home and contribute to boosting our local supply.

This push comes amid a critical time for donations, with Lifeblood Chief Customer Officer Cath Stone saying winter colds and flu wipe out potentially thousands of people from donating on a national scale.

“Nationally we’re seeing up to 1,600 donation appointments sit empty every day, with many more people cancelling or rescheduling appointments,” Cath said.

“Even mild symptoms such as sniffles, sore throats, and headaches make people temporarily ineligible to give blood, and this can severely impact the availability of donors during winter months.

“Patients in critical situations will always get the blood they need, but full fridges are essential to ensuring blood is available for everyone who needs it, when they need it,” she said.

“This includes cancer patients, new mothers, people undergoing surgery, and many other patients including children who need donated blood to save their lives.

“We’d all want blood to be there if it was someone we knew or loved who needed it.”

Check out the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/bring-a-mobile-blood-bank-to-the-whitsundays